In its new version of iOS and iPadOS, Apple combined the functions of Find My Friends and Find my iPhone into a single app. Now it’s known as Find My, and here’s everything you should know about it.
While the app lets you share your location with friends and families, you’ll also see friends location that has been shared with you. That way, you can track down your loved ones and remote lock or erase lost devices all in one app.
If you’ve used either Find My Friends or Find My iPhone in the past, you shouldn’t have a problem using Find My. Be that as it may, the App now features new ways of doing some things.
Here are four of them.
How to Use the Find My App on iOS
Here’s how to use the Find My app on iOS to find your lost iPhone or iPad easily and without any hassle.
1. Find Friends and Add Friends
Follow the steps outlined below to find friends in Find My
- Launch the Find My app on your iPhone or iPad
- Select the People tab
- Tap the friend who is sharing the location with you
- Swipe up the card and tap Contact
- Finally, select Directions to get directions to their location on Maps
To add friends to your Find My app, tap Share My Location on the People tab. Next, type the name of a contact or select their name on the contact list, then tap the + icon to add more people. Press Send when you’re done.
2. Share Location and Notify Friends of Shared Location
The Find My app on your iOS 13 or iPadOS device features a global location sharing function. Here’s how to toggle it on.
- Launch the Find My on your iPhone or iPad
- Select the Me tab
- Toggle Share My Location on
To notify friends of your location, tap someone who’s already sharing their location on the list. Swipe the card up, select Add… under Notifications, and tap Notify [friend’s name]. You can pick either When I Arrive or When I Leave depending on your preference.
3. Find Devices
Along with marking a device as lost, you can also locate a lost device using Find My, and remotely wipe it. Here’s how to find lost devices on Find My.
- Launch Find My on your iPhone or iPad
- Tap the Devices tab
- Select the device you want to find
- Swipe up and select between Play Sound, Directions, or Notifications.
You can also activate Mark As Lost to lock your lost device behind a passcode. Your iPhone or iPad should offer an option of entering a phone number and a message. That way, whoever finds your lost device can quickly locate you.
4. Remotely Erase Device
If you’re unable to retrieve your lost iPhone or iPad, you may want to wipe your data. Follow the steps outlined below to erase your device using Find My remotely.
- Launch Find My and Tap Devices
- Select the device you wish to erase
- Swipe up and tap Erase This Device
- Tap Erase this [Device]
- Input an optional phone number and message and tap Next
- Tap Erase
That’s it; you’re done. Your lost iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch will be wiped clean.